This weekend perhaps the biggest attraction is in Greenport: the annual boat show & Chowderfest. Not into boats and delicious soup? Even when the chowder contest features live music and is held within stumbling distance of the Greenport Brewery? Fine. Another spectacular doing is the annual Spring House Tour, which unites three popular B&Bs with local restaurants, wineries and entertainers to provide a multi-dimensional special event in support of the North Fork Community Theater.
Like to dance? Musicians play at wineries and bars all weekend long. If you're up for something special, join in the old-school barn dance at Hallockville Museum Farm or learn some Israeli folk dances at a special event organized by the North Fork Chamber of Commerce.
The foodie in you has much to choose from; most unusual, perhaps, is a class in edible crystallized flowers and flavored sugar making.
(Click a title to reach the full listings for that type of event)
This weekend three events are big enough to earn the festival monniker: the three day Greenport Boat Show, the Greenport Chowderfest, and the multi-dimensional Spring House Tour of North Fork Wine Country B&Bs.
Learn which flowers to use in salads and baking, how to crystallize them and make flavored sugars; join Chef Rob Scott for a three course meal demonstration including such unique treats as watermelon fire and ice salsa; shop Greenport's farmer's market; sample Sang Lee's finest after touring the organic farm; go simple, and enjoy wine & pizza at Dilberto's; enjoy a vineyard tour or two or three.
Friday four bars, restaurants and wineries offer live music, including a performance for a cause, while Saturday and Sunday several venues offer musical options.
Your inner artist can enjoy both visual and performing arts, and even participate! See ongoing painting and drawing exhibits, catch the closing of Metropolis, attend the artists' reception for a new, color rich exhibit; join a traditional barn dance, caller and all; go to a movie or two, or support the local Catholic school by checking out their performance of a Midsummer Night's Dream.
If you want to join a fun biking event, The Tour de Cure is this weekend, targeting diabetes. If you'd rather walk, explore Horton's Point Lighthouse and its nautical museum.
If really, really what you'd like to do with your day off is go fishing, head for the Peconic Star. Or charter a boat, take it to the beach.
Learn to dance the Hora and other Israeli folk dances; learn to knit the cutest little baby socks; or learn "Plants as Medicine" and making essential oils. Check out a couple more under 'Food, Farm and Vineyard", namely how to cook a particularly amazing three course meal or how to spot and use edible flowers.
- Mitchell Park Marina Boat Show, Greenport. The Annual Greenport Boat Show featuring boats in and out of the water, and nautical vendors. Runs all weekend. Fri-Sun 10 am - 6 pm. Details.
- Chowderfest, Greenport. Chowder contest and local libation tasting! Sample chowders from over a dozen North Fork restaurants, washed down by beer from the Greenport Brewery or soft drinks from Miss Lady Root Beer. Live music by Points East. Take a chance on a raffle. The East End Seaport Museum's annual chowderfest--long a key component of the annual Maritime Festival in the Fall, launches as a standalone event. Win tickets to the event by liking and sharing it on Facebook. Sunday noon - 3pm. Details.
- Spring House Tour & Tasting, Mattituck. Tour of three quaint B&B’s, taste local food and wine and explore one of the most charming streets on the North Fork all while supporting the North Fork Community Theater. Tour stops include the Blue Iris in Cutchogue, the Fig & Olive in Cutchogue, Cedar House on Sound in Mattituck and of course the theater. The B&Bs offer live entertainment and tastings from local wineries (or brewery) and restaurants. On Love Lane stop in at participating venues Mattituck Florist, Village Cheese Shoppe and Roanoke Vineyard’s tasting room. Saturday noon-5 pm. Details.
All of these events are offered on both Saturday and Sunday with the same details unless otherwise noted.
- Greenport Farmer's Market, Greenport. Local produce, poultry, eggs, shellfish, cheese, bread, wine, preserves, and more. Saturday 9 am to 1 pm. Details.
- Sang Lee Farms, Peconic. Tour organic farm fields, greenhouses and barn. Enjoy an amazing tasting of delicious vegetables and prepared products from the Sang Lee Kitchen. Saturday, 11-12:30 pm. Details.
- Sannino Bella Vita Vineyard, Peconic invites you to join their Vine to Wine tour, each weekend day at 1 pm. Note, reservations required. Details.
- Winemaker's Studio, Peconic. Happy hour! Friday, Saturday & Sunday, 5-7 pm. Details.
- Chef Rob Scott, Cutchogue. Enjoy his demonstration of a delicious three course meal. Plating Greek orzo and grilled shrimp with mustard-dill vinaigrette, Crab and scallion stuffed artichoke heart and Watermelon Fire and Ice Salsa. Details.
- Castello Di Borghese Vineyard, Cutchogue invites you to tour its winery and production facility, and taste its wine. Sunday from 1-3 pm. Details.
- Shinn Estates Vineyard & Farmhouse, Mattituck offers a couple of ways to experience wine and wine making. Walk the vineyard with Barbara Shinn, Learn about sustainable, organic and Biodynamic winegrowing. Taste four wines. 1:30 to 2 pm, Details. or tour the winery and barrel center starting at 2:30, also involving a taste of four wines. Details.
- Edible Flowers/Hallockville Museum Farm, Riverhead East. Use summer's first flowers to make garnishes and flavored sugars in this class, part of a series presented by A Taste of the North Fork and Hallockville. In this hands-on workshop participants learn to identify and use edible flowers in salads, baking and other dishes, and the techniques needed to produce delicate flavored sugars and crystallized flowers. Enjoy samples and take home two bottles of flavored sugar. Advance registration required, Saturday 1-4 pm. Details.
- Dilberto Winery, Jamesport. For a fun and casual start to your weekend dining, enjoy two glasses of wine and a pizza at Dilberto's Winery. Friday, 6-8 pm. Details.
- Ev Corwin, Greenport, Billy's By The Bay, 4-7 pm. Details.
- Tom Damiani, Greenport, The Soundview Restaurant, Singing from Sinatra to the 70s. 7pm + Details.
- The Gerards, Mattituck, The Tasting Group (Lieb Cellars). Firefly Fridays; live music, local wine, food from the Roaming Fork Food Truck. 5-8 pm. Details.
- Sarah Conner, Mattituck, Four Doors Down. Join Conner, the winner of Mattituck Idol, in supporting a good cause: Melissa Moelius, a single mom of 4 with Stage 4 Thyroid cancer. Prizes and other goodies available. Noon to 3 pm. Details.
- Copy Cat and Hi Definition, Greenport. Claudio's Clam Bar offers two sets of music on Saturday, one afternoon and one late night. This Saturday Copy Cat plays 2-6 pm; Hi Definition plays from 10 pm to 2 am. Details.
- Cabaret with Marjorie Volants, Cutchogue. Castello DiBorghesi Vineyards 2-4 pm, Details.
- Nick Kerzner, Cutchogue. Lieb Cellars. Music plays 2-5 pm. Bonus: the Big Cheese Pop Up Shop sets up in the library room from 1-4 pm. Details.
- Keith Maguire, Riverhead east. Martha Clara Vineyards. An acoustic duo playing your favorite hits from the 60s through today. 2 to 5 pm. Details.
- George Tebbitt, Jamesport. Clovis Point, progressive rock, 2-5 pm. Details.
- Sahara, Greenport. Billy's By The Bay, 2-5 pm. Details.
- Jazz on the Island with Rick Braun, Peconic, Raphael, 1-4 pm. Details.
- Mark Anderson and Jon Divello, Jamesport. Clovis Point. indie pop and classic covers 1:30-4:30 pm. Details.
- TBD, Jamesport, Jason's Vineyard. 1-5 pm. Details.
- The Denise Given Trio , Riverhead east. Martha Clara Vineyards 2-5 pm. Details.
- Film: The Secret, Greenport. 6 pm. Details.
- Artists' Reception, Southold. Meet Mac Titmus and Christopher Alexander, featured in the A Passion for Color exhibit sponsored by the Southold Historical Society. 5-7 pm. Details.
- Film: The Nut Job, Cutchogue. 4 pm + Details.
- Film: Mud, Mattituck. 1:30-4 pm. Details.
- Barn Dance! Jamesport. All ages welcome and no dance experience is needed- the caller will call the steps as you go along. Benefits the Rescue Fund of the East End Livestock and Horsemen's Association. Doors open at 6:30, dancing from 7-9 pm. Details.
- Midsummer Night's Dream. Mattituck. The students of Our Lady of Mercy Regional School perform at the North Fork Community Theater, 7 pm. Details.
- Midsummer Night's Dream. Mattituck. The students of Our Lady of Mercy Regional School perform at the North Fork Community Theater, 4 pm. Details.
All Weekend Ongoing
- The South Street Gallery, Greenport. Open 12-5. Details.
- East End Seaport Museum, Greenport. Open weekend days 1-5 pm; the Blacksmith opens 11 am-5 pm on Sunday. Details.
- Gallery M. Greenport. Open 11-7 Weekend Days. Details.
- Rothman's Gallery, Southold. Retrospective exhibition of expressionist painter Cynthia Wells. Details.
- Reichert Family Center and Cosden Price Gallery Southold. Saturated color, lyrical movement, forceful line, and complex imagery. Daily 12-5 pm Details.
- Cutchogue Library Gallery, Cutchogue, Juried Group Art Show. Open during library hours. Details.
- Alex Ferrone Photography Gallery, Cutchogue, presents “Metropolis” featuring three award winning photographers. Closes Sunday. Details.
- The Barn at Jedediah Hawkins, Jamesport. Nature's Call: A Return to Silence, photographs by Peter Azrak. Opens at 5 pm. Details
Mattituck Movie Theater
Shows all week; listings here.
- Orient Beach State Park, Orient Point, offers a huge range of outdoor activities, including canoeing, hiking, paddle boarding, and swimming. Details.
- The Horton Point Lighthouse, Southold, is one of the Southold Historical Society's many treasures. Originally designed by George Washington, it is now home to a nautical museum. Open Saturday and Sunday 11:30 am - 4pm. Details.
- Tour de Cure, Peconic. Pindar Vineyards hosts this fundraiser for the American Diabetes Association. Saturday, Details.
- Learn Israeli Folkdancing! Peconic. Guest teacher Danny Pollack. Israeli circle, partner, and line dances in a variety of ethnic styles including Chassidic and Yemenite, as well as the classic Israeli style of the Hora. Light refreshments served. Sunday 1pm +. Details.
- Plants As Medicine, Cutchogue. Karan Lee of Wholesome Living Practice will introduce the methods of use, storage, creation of blends, and choice of effective oils for specific health conditions. Q and A. Sunday at 11 am. Details.
- Knit Baby Socks! Mattituck. Learn how to knit in the round using the magic loop technique, where one long circular needle replaces the usual double-pointed needles. Our talented teacher, Amy, will demonstrate how to knit two socks at a time with this technique. The project for this 3-part class is a pair of "stay on baby socks," which are constructed the same way as adult sizes, so it's also an opportunity to learn to KNIT SOCKS for everyone! This technique is great for anything small, from hats to socks to sleeves to toys! Details.