This weekend the North Fork showcases its wine, live music, natural bounty, and much, much more. Get back to the land by touring (and sampling) an organic farm or a shellfish hatchery.
Live music abounds all weekend, so you can dance your heart out.
Are you a woodcarver? A folk dancer? Ever wanted to give either a try? This weekend you'll get your chance.
This weekend's also your last chance to catch the North Fork Community Theater's performance of Into The Woods, or to see the Working Girls exhibit at the Greenport Brewery.
Like yard sales? This weekend has two big ones, and both benefit good causes.
Last but not least, bring the kids to a family fun festival, and help out a local school in the process.
(Click a title to reach the full listings for that type of event)
Enjoy a fresh oyster and local wine after you tour the hatchery; sample Sang Lee's finest after touring the organic farm; taste the release of Roanoke Vineyard's sauvingon blanc and treats from Noah's; enjoy a vineyard tour.
Friday night Greenport's Billy's by the Bay features live music, while Saturday and Sunday several venues offer musical options.
Your inner artist can enjoy both visual and performing arts, and even participate! See ongoing painting and drawing exhibits, catch the final performances of Into The Woods, go to the movies, be a woodcarver (or just watch the pros), or learn folk dancing!
Meander Horton's Point Lighthouse and its nautical museum. Scan the skies at the Custer Observatory Saturday night, if cloud-free; the moon will be right. Charter a fishing boat or just rent a boat--our waters are calling!
Family fun festival featuring live music, crafts, children's activities, seed planting and drumming.
Big community yard sales this weekend!
The Full Listings, from East to West
All of these events are offered on both Saturday and Sunday with the same details unless otherwise noted.
- Shellfisher Tour & Tasting, Southold. The Peconic Land Trust invites you to enjoy an insider’s tour of the shellfish hatchery. Preserve Manager Marty Byrnes and Karen Rivara, owner of Aeros Cultured Oyster Co, will lead the tour; afterward, enjoy a tasting of fresh-from-the-water Peconic Pearl oysters with local wine. Saturday, 3-4:30 pm. Details.
- Sang Lee Farms, Peconic. Tour organic farm fields, greenhouses and barn. Enjoy an amazing tasting of delicious vegetables and prepared products from the Sang Lee Kitchen. Saturday, 11-12:30 pm. Details.
- Sannino Bella Vita Vineyard, Peconic invites you to join their Vine to Wine tour, each weekend day at 1 pm. Note, reservations required. Details.
- Castello Di Borghese Vineyard, Cutchogue invites you to tour its winery and production facility, and taste its wine. From 1-3 pm. Details.
- Roanoke Vineyards 2013 Sauvingon Blanc Release, With Noah's. Love Lane, Mattituck. The East End’s most forward thinking chef, Noah Schwartz, will pair the wine with items from his restaurant's small plates menu, including a selection of tapas and shellfish. Details.
- Shinn Estates Vineyard & Farmhouse, Mattituck offers a couple of ways to experience wine and wine making. Walk the vineyard with Barbara Shinn, Learn about sustainable, organic and Biodynamic winegrowing. Taste four wines. 1:30 to 2 pm, Details. or tour the winery and barrel center starting at 2:30, also involving a taste of four wines. Details.
- Tasting Oils & Vinegars, Clovis Point, Jamesport. Join Vines & Branches as they Sample top-quality extra-virgin olive oils and amazingly flavorful balsamic vinegars from around the world. Sunday 1-4pm.
- WindSync Wind Quintent, Shelter Island. Back by popular demand, the Shelter Island Friends of Music will present WindSync, a revolutionary, exciting wind quintet, winner of the 2012 Concert Artists Guild International Competition, performing music by Barber, Ravel, Bernstein, & Piazzolla. 8-10 mm
- TBD and the All-Stars, Greenport. Claudio's Clam Bar offers two sets of music on Saturday night, one afternoon and one late. This Saturday the first set is 2-6 pm; the second, from 10 pm to 2 am is the All Stars. Details.
- Below Average White Band-Dan McGee, Peconic. Osprey Dominion Vineyards 1-5 pm. Details.
- Cabaret with Marjorie Volants, Cutchogue. Castello DiBorghesi Vineyards 2-4 pm, Details.
- Nina Et Cetera, Cutchogue. Lieb Cellars Music plays 2-5 pm. Bonus: the Big Cheese Pop Up Shop sets up in the library room from 1-4 pm. Details.
- Bobby Nathan Band, Riverhead east. Martha Clara Vineyards. Five piece band playing every genre of music from rockin blues to classic rock, soul, Top 40, reggae and beyond. 2 to 5 pm. Details.
- The Mike Engle Jazz Vibratrio, Jamesport. Clovis Point New Orleans-Montreal-inspired jazz, 2-5 pm. Details.
- The Lone Sharks, Greenport. Billy's By The Bay, 2-5 pm. Details.
- Firefly, Peconic. Osprey Dominion Vineyards 1-5 pm. Details
- Norman Vincent, Peconic, Raphael, 2-5 pm. Details.
- Larrin Gerard, Jamesport. Clovis Point. 1:30-4:30 pm. Details.
- 2 Man Acoustical Jam , Riverhead east. Martha Clara Vineyards 2-5 pm. Details.
- Learn Folkdancing! Mattituck. Sunday 1:30-3:30 at the Mattituck Library. Details.
- Be a woodcarver! Jamesport. The Hallockville Carving Club invites beginner and experienced woodcarvers for an afternoon of skill-building and camaraderie. Bring your own projects and tools, give a try using our tools, or simply come to watch. Sunday 1-4. Details.
Saturday Closing-Last Chance to See
- Greenport Brewery, Greenport. The “Working Girls of New York Harbor: A Sketchbook of Dredges, Tugs and Ships” by artist Christina Sun through May 31. Have a beer and ogle the working girls. Details.
All Weekend Ongoing
- The South Street Gallery, Greenport. Open 12-5. Details.
- East End Seaport Museum, Greenport. Open weekend days 1-5 pm; the Blacksmith opens 11 am-5 pm on Sunday. Details.
- Gallery M. Greenport. Open 11-7 Weekend Days. Details.
- Rothman's Gallery, Southold. Retrospective exhibition of expressionist painter Cynthia Wells. Details.
- The Barn at Jedediah Hawkins, Jamesport. Nature's Call: A Return to Silence, photographs by Peter Azrak. Opens at 5 pm. Details.
- Alex Ferrone Photography Gallery, Cutchogue, presents “Metropolis” featuring three award winning photographers. Runs through June 8. Details.
- North Fork Community Theater, Mattituck. Showing Into The Woods, Friday and Saturday at 8 pm, Sunday at 2:30 pm. Show closes Sunday. Details.
Mattituck Movie Theater
Shows all week; listings here.
- Orient Beach State Park, Orient Point, offers a huge range of outdoor activities, including canoeing, hiking, paddle boarding, and swimming. Details.
- The Custer Institute, Southold, is the oldest public observatory on Long Island. On Saturday nights from dark until midnight they give guided tours of the heavens, clouds permitting. Saturday the moon will be a waxing crescent, great for stargazing. Details.
- The Horton Point Lighthouse, Southold, is one of the Southold Historical Society's many treasures. Originally designed by George Washington, it is now home to a nautical museum. Open Saturday and Sunday 11:30 am - 4pm. Details.
- Family fun at Hallockville Museum Farm's Naugles Barn. Jamesport. events, Saturday, 12-3 pm. Featuring music by BRADY RYMER Pizza for sale from Rolling in Dough Pizza Truck, Plus opportunities for crafts, children's activities, seed planting and drumming.Benefit for Peconic Community School. Details.
- Community Yard Sale, Southold. The Hallockville Museum Farm hosts its annual community yard sale, Saturday 8am-4pm & Sunday 9am-4pm. Bargains galore, treasures, unique items and antiques. Details.
- Community Yard Sale Cutchogue. The Cutchogue-New Suffolk Historical Society's annual community yard sale, Saturday starts at 8 am. Details.